Thursday, May 10, 2012

Are You A Sucker?

It’s hard for me to make friends. I expect more out of people than most. I prefer equal friendships. My best friends and I all have very low maintenance friendships. They are equal give and take, we share in each other’s triumphs and we cry for each other when life gets shitty. We text a few times a week, if we end up talking on the phone, the calls will last hours. When we see each other in person, we pick up right where we left off. I didn’t realize how rare and special these relationships were until recently. Not everyone is able to participate in a give and take relationship, let’s call them suckers. Suckers don’t need to talk to you; they need to talk at you. You are not special to them, because there are tons of people that they can talk at.
I go through phases with new ‘friends’ where we get to know each other and they are awesome, but they end up needing more than I can give. I like to have friends that support me and let me support them. I like friends that listen and feel okay to share with me as well. I don’t have friends so that I can constantly talk about myself or so that I can get validation that everything will be okay. My friends and I have shared interests; it gives us things to talk about so we just don’t talk about ourselves. Shelby and I can gossip til we run out of breath and watch sappy movies til we are dehydrated. We have gone six months without talking and with a Facebook message or a text; we are two peas in a pod, again. Taylor and I talk whenever we need the other person, whether that means to vent, share something exciting or laugh about how dumb people are. We have been friends for 10 years and still haven’t quit each other. Katie and I support each other in all of our life journeys; it doesn’t matter if it’s weight loss, love, depression, our jobs, missing Kenzie or a battle with a co-worker. I would be lost without these girls, but that doesn’t mean to need to be in contact 24/7 or even every day. I love them all and would be there whenever they need me, even if we haven’t talked for 6 months, which has happened. We have a level of forgiveness that makes our love unconditional. So thank you, Shelby, Taylor and Katie. For being more then you have to be and knowing that sometimes life gets crazy. I love you all!
I am not a fixer, Starr is a fixer, she is giving and lives for other people. She is a giver. I do not fit into either category. I like to be there for my friends and I’m a good listener, but if they need listened to every night, it’s excessive. I’m not qualified to fix people and I don’t try to. I believe you need to suck it up and fix yourself.

I'm gonna get Girlfriend to write a blog about her 'two types of people' theory! Keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment