Friday, March 9, 2012

648 NE Washington

My parents are moving this weekend. It's really bittersweet. We moved into our house when I was 4 and Kenzie was exactly a year. April, 1996. I remember the Easter Sunday when my dad accidentally hooked the hot water up to the hose and Kenzie, Sam and I made our own swimming pool by digging a whole in the middle of the yard and jumping in with all of our clothes. I remember building a mattress slide in the basement. I remember hours and hours of playing Barbies until we couldn't keep our eyes open anymore. I remember being obsessed with Rob Zombie because his single 'Dragula' was on the snowmobiling game on our playstation. I remember spending one New Year's Eve standing in the kitchen with Mom and Kenzie, eating cookie dough and sharing a Diet Coke. I remember sitting in the living room watching Jonas Brothers video for an entire summer. I remember Kenzie breaking her arm after falling off of the trampoline on the very last day of school before summer break. I remember watching our parents pull down our tree house in the backyard. I remember fighting about who was gonna pick up dog poop. I remember giggling into all hours of the night. I remember waking up at 5 in the morning so Kenzie could curl my hair before school. I remember setting up a makeshift agility course for the dogs. I remember hauling the big stereo outside so we'd have music while we did yard work. I remember painting the house every weekend one fall. I remember Kenzie wrote on EVERYTHING in her room. I remember remodeling the basement and then our rooms were right next to each other. I remember Kenzie always breaking the sliding door that we connected our rooms with. I remember Kenzie, Madison and I watching Jerry Springer and ordering Pizza Hut. I remember memorizing the "Date Song" at the end of Disaster Movie and rewinding it over and over. I remember playing Lion King with Pal and Daisy. I remember what a pain in the ass it was when the basement flooded. I remember going through each other's closets and Mom's jewlery box. I could go and on. But I'm at work and crying at work is frowned upon.
 
Those memories are bittersweet and moving will be tough. But I'm ready to have my sister home and to make new memories with her in the new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment