Friday, July 27, 2012

Guest Blog: Sam Thomas!

So I am new to this blogging thing, so it’ll probably sound more like ranting or that I’m just talking ‘at you’ rather than organized, coherent thoughts and ideas, so I’ll ask you to bare (bear? Whichever, I’m mad at the rain and it’s 7pm and the baby is taking her first nap of the day so grammar isn’t quite up there on my ‘things I care a lot about’ list.) with me. Seeing as this is Kayla’s blog I think it’s fair to start there. Kayla’s only about a year younger than me so I at least saw her a lot during school. I think I mostly got talking to her more because she and Starr were such good friends and Starr was in my sewing class (was Kayla too? I can’t remember!) If Kayla was, then I’m sure I talked with her there as well. Anyway I think the point is that we were never super close but always sort of in that more than acquaintances but not quite friends weird sort of relationship that doesn’t really have a name. Facebook friends, we’ll call it that.
I read her blogs and we’ll chat via comments or messages every so often and I’ve done what I could, even if it was just sending good vibes her family’s way, throughout the journey they’ve been on this past year. Well every now and then a facebook friend turns into more and you find yourself making plans to hang out in ‘real life’ (feels like some other dimension saying it that way ha!) and that’s about where we are at and I’m glad, I don’t have a lot of real friends and being able to add another is pretty dang awesome.
I think real friends are pretty hard to come by, especially after high school. Or maybe it’s just that after you graduate, you learn who your real friends actually are. Most keep in touch via facebook or email or texting, which is nice but just lacks..I’m not sure, but something. Whatever it is that makes a real friend, a real friend. Maybe it’s that with a real friend you don’t often say “Oh hey!! How are you??” in that ridiculous phone voice. I think you both need to understand that you’ll always be there for each other no matter what, but might not always want to hang out. Real friends can just say “nah, I’m being lazy and would rather stay home.” Real friends don’t care if you haven’t showered in one too many days and are still trying to get away with it by putting up your hair. If they think you’re being stupid, they’ll let you know. And when something bad happens and they say they are sorry, you know they really mean it and it feels good to know somebody is there. They will get mad at you but get over it within minutes or hours.
Well shit. I didn’t realize how hard describing friendship really was. Maybe because it’s almost more of a feeling than something you can describe, an invisible force like..’The Force’? Close enough! Also, I can't tell you how many "best friends" I've had through the years but its funny that at 21 years old, I've only got two of them left. One, I've known since I was 5 and the other is my boyfriend Kody. I‘m bummed I had this wonderful, moving blog planned out in my head and I get to writing and it just didn’t come out. I guess I’ll end with saying that if you can comfortably talk about poop or pooping or farts and laugh at and with each other at the same time and silences aren’t awkward, they’re probably a real friend. Also if they are one of the few people who say “ I’ll babysit ANYTIME!!” And actually do. I’m not sure who said this, but it’s my favorite quote about friendship (it’s on a sign in our kitchen).
“Good friends are like stars, you don’t always have to see them to know they are always there.”
-Sam Thomas

Her blog: http://samslifetoday-thoughts.blogspot.com/?m=1 (you'll have to copy and paste)

No comments:

Post a Comment