Monday, September 5, 2011

Love is Love














Anyone who knows Starr and I knows that we dated about two and half years ago. She left for college and we broke up, this January we got back together and in April we moved in together. We have had so many ups and downs throughout our friendship/relationship.

When we dated in high school we were sort of 'closeted' most of the school knew, but we kept it from our families. I made the decision to tell my parents about Starr in December. First, I called Kenzie. I knew she would be pissed if she wasn't the first person and to know. I was driving home from work and I called her and we talked about a few things and then I said, "I just want you to know that Starr and I are seeing each other, we aren't dating, but we have before and probably will again." Her response? "Okay, well anyways, I saw the SEXIEST truck after school..." Isn't she the best?

When I told my mom, she was pretty crushed. She was mad that I didn't tell her about our previous relationship. We had a tough couple months. My dad said "I knew it." and that was the end of that.

Perry, Sandra and Sierra didn't think twice. They liked Starr and they loved me. No questions about it.

Kenzie and my mom have completely opened their hearts and minds to Starr and welcomed her to the family with open arms. My mom left me a voicemail that said "God told me that I'm supposed to have 3 girls in my life." 

I am proud of all of the people in my life. We come from a pretty small/conservative town and no one has said anything or even implied any negativity towards us and our relationship. 

Sandra told Papa Hugh his response was, "Ah shit, I wasn't raised that way." But that was all he said and he accepted Starr and I.

Starr (who I usually call Girlfriend) is one of the best people I have ever been lucky enough to know. She is strong and smart and beautiful and loving and amazing. I have no words for how much I love her. I never had to think twice about being in a relationship with her. It would be crazy to miss out on being with her just because she is a girl. When you love someone, rules go out the window. I am comfortable enough with who I am to not have to define myself or my sexuality.


No comments:

Post a Comment