Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Strength Doesn't Have Anything To Do With It

It's hard to go through every day fighting something that can't be seen. It's hard to talk about depression because it has a negative connotation. It wasn't something that was ever talked about in my house, at least not until I was older. In today's society it's embarrassing to talk about struggling with depression. People consider you weak. They try to 'help' you with it by saying "You're stronger than that." That doesn't help. That makes you feel worse, that makes you not want to talk about it again. It makes you feel like you aren't living up to someone's idea of strong.

It's exactly the same story with suicide. Everyone is all about suicide prevention these days, but when someone contemplating suicide reaches out to them, they respond with "suicide is the easy way out" or "suicide is selfish." Do you know that when you say those things, thinking that you'll guilt the person into staying alive, or making them see it your way the only thing you're doing is changing your relationship with that person. They shared one of their biggest secrets with you and you made them feel shameful and guilty for wanting to end the pain they are in.

People don't kill themselves without reason. Can you imagine how much pain they would need to be in not want to live anymore? That's not something most people take lightly. Why would you call them weak for not wanting to hurt anymore?

Everyone has their own pain tolerance, everyone has been through different experiences. Telling someone that is struggling with suicidal thoughts that it’s the easy way out or that they need to stay strong is like a slap in the face. If someone opens up to you about suicide, be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Kayla, I say this all the time. I haven't been through any major traumatic experiences. I am bipolar. I spend weeks sometimes months feeling like I'm surrounded by darkness and gloom. I haven't ever tried to kill myself but have thought about it often. People who kill themselves, aren't being selfish,aren't being weak, they're simply not able to see that their life means something to anyone. I've often thought my family would be better off without me, even though when I know when I'm well that isn't true. It's a constant battle and unless someone has been to that place mentally, where it seems like death is the only option, like it's a favor you're doing to everyone else....they shouldn't be so presumptuous. Just remember your life means a lot to many, even when you're down and it's not meaning as much to you. I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very useful information for every one.

    ReplyDelete